Health Care Articles
|Health Basics Articles
|Health Problems Articles
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Treatment
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a disturbance of median nerve function in the wrist as the nerve passes through the carpal tunnel which results in repetitive hand activity, arthritis, diabetes, hypothyroidism, wrist fracture or dislocation, pregnancy, carpal tunnel masses, loss of sensation or inherited conditions. It is a common, painful condition of the wrist and hand due to nerve compression or in other words a painful progressive condition caused by compression of a key nerve in the wrist. Carpal tunnel syndrome is one of a group of neurological disorders known as an entrapment neuropathy.
Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
There are various factors due to which Carpal tunnel syndrome may arise Some of them are as follows:
1) Pressure on median nerve and fluid retention during pregnancy or menopause
2) Tendons in the carpal tunnel or overactivity of the pituitary gland
3) Congenital predisposition : smallness of carpal tunnel
4) Trauma or injury to the wrist
5) Hypothyroidism or rheumatoid arthritis
6) Mechanical problems in the wrist joint or work stress
7) Repetitive and forceful movements of the hand
Symtoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Here is the list of some of the common symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
1) Intermittent "pins-and-needles" paresthesia in the median nerve distribution
2) Tenderness, swelling, warmth, and discoloration in wrist
3) Pain, temperature and light touch from the palmar aspect of the thumb, index, and middle and thumb half of the ring finger.
4) loss of sleep
Treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be treated with following treatments:
1) Drugs and medication: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonprescription pain relievers. Other medicines like Corticosteroids can also be taken with the consult of doctor or physician.
2) Exercise Stretching and strengthening exercises only under supervision of a physical therapist.
3) Alternative therapies like Acupuncture and chiropractic.
4) Surgery is an option for treating carpal tunnel: it is divided in two types depending on situation, Open release surgery and Endoscopic surgery
Prevention from carpal tunnel syndrome can be done by perform stretching exercises, take regular breaks, wear splints and fingerless gloves, and use correct posture and wrist position.
|Copyright © Health-Care-Articles.info
|Catch our new Health Care Blog